Silverlight was the closest Microsoft ever got to placing .NET on MacOS. Mono has a implementation of WinForms, which implies it actually works on Mac and Linux, arguably. Java (including Swing/GUI) works great on Windows, Mac, and Linux, so I don’t know what you mean about Java not being cross platform. I knew a company that constructed their entire frontend product on Silverlight. The CEO carried a Windows Phone and informed people how great the digicam was.
Seven platforms – 70% similar code base for every of them – with the other 30% x three for the Views. Silverlight and Mono provides you an immensely highly effective toolset – and its performant, now thats protection. As a Silverlight/.NET fan I would really like to see Silverlight being delivered onto the Android OS. That could be compelling evidence that MS remains to be dedicated to Silverlight on the major platforms. As a MSFT shareholder and developer I’m hoping you focus your sources with HTML5, and pull back from Silverlight. The “strategy shift” comment he made in the interview was supposed to be about us rising our give consideration to the above three areas as key scenarios where we think we are able to actually differentiate and add a ton of value with Silverlight. These usually are not new areas but quite core issues we’ve all the time focused on with Silverlight and are the primary eventualities customers use it for right now.
So, Microsoft launched Web API, an easy-to-use framework that makes exposing HTTP net providers a chunk of cake. With a few traces of configuration, your API turns right into a safe, “industry-standard” net service. Files which initializes the Silverlight plug-in for os samsung is getting multigenerational in use in HTML pages, a XAML file for the UI, and code-behind recordsdata for the application code. Silverlight functions are debugged in a fashion similar to ASP.NET functions.
It enables you to access web functions and video games using the net browser that’s working in your desktop. For us, there isn’t any distinction to the expertise in HTML both. Silverlight can be used the same means you’d use a web browser, and we’ve accomplished intensive testing with it. The greatest downside I see with Silverlight is its concentrate on being an app.
It’s crazy the VS staff is investing in Web Forms whereas the .NET staff officially deserted it years ago. Silverlight is the model new child on the block in the internet application world. I personally assume it is a good transfer from a business sense.
Stephen infamously sent the “burning platform memo”, the most costly memo in corporate historical past, abandoning the technique and switching to Windows Mobile. There was a hilarious excuse used (he said the Maemo/Meego strategy may only lead to 1-2 major phone releases per year – yeah, who wants to be like Apple!) and almost all developers abandoned ship. Microsoft did need to abandon Windows Mobile afterward, however it’s not that they did not attempt as much as they might, and no person in the right mind would think it was sure to succeed. Silverlight is described by Wikipedia as an utility framework designed for writing and operating Rich Web Applications, supporting multimedia, graphics and animation. While we’d love to take our code base from Windows to the net and to iOS and to Android and have a wealthy UI with a great programming model, the one way to produce quality apps on these platforms right now is natively. Websites and functions have some overlap, however they are different beasts.